Sunday, August 24, 2014

Missing James or Where does he go all the time?

On Wednesday, I took a delicious cobb-type salad to James at school.  It was nice to see him for a little while while we ate.  What did he do that day?  Oh, not much.  Just learning about ALL of human embryology and fetal development.  No biggie.  What did I do that day?  Dishes.  I washed the heck out of those dishes.  Plus I made that delicious salad, so clearly I'm the winner here.

On Thursday, I actually got to see James for dinner. Then he disappeared into his study room until about midnight.

On Friday, I took James to school, where he studied and took quizzes and such all day, while I did exactly zero productive things, and then I dropped off his dinner for him so he could keep studying while I continued to be unproductive.

On Saturday (last night), at about ten thirty James finally came home from a long grueling day on campus.  I had spent all day reading The Fault in Our Stars instead of making curtains, and had been texting James updates throughout the day: "This book is very witty!"  "Aaah it's the saddest book I've ever even heard of!"  "I like this book.  Come home so I can tell you about it." "Waaah why why why did I even start this book? I hate it!"  "You don't have cancer, do you?"  (Spoiler: that book is about teenagers with cancer.)  James would respond with comments like, "I'm studying."  "Sounds good. Maybe I'll be done in a few hours."  "Noooooooooooooooo not the saddest book!"

James came inside (we're still on Saturday here) and I looked up at him (having finally returned to the making-curtains activity, since the book was over).  I was startled; I had actually forgotten what he looked like a little bit!  When I'd think of him this week, I wouldn't be picturing his face in my mind.  I'd think about getting dinner to him, or how we were going to figure out who got the car that day, or if he was getting enough sleep, or if he was ever able to memorize those stupid acronyms.  I'd forgotten how much I liked his face!

In some ways, it's nice.  It's like dating again!  I got a little shy at first, thinking, "Woah, I married that?  He's amazing!  How did I get so lucky?  Maybe I should've put makeup on or something while reading that book today."  (Let's be honest, though: I would have cried it all off.)  But in other ways, it's really not nice.  I really miss James.  Even when I'm with him, he's thinking about muscles and proteins while we eat, or else we're driving to/from school.  That's all.  He goes to school in the morning and takes classes and studies.  He either comes home for dinner or stays there.  After dinner, he studies either in his study room or at school.  Often I'm already in bed by the time he's done.  (There are only so many dishes you can do in one day, after all.)  It's worse in the week before a test than other weeks, and since his test is tomorrow, he'll have a day or two where he as a few more hours for me.  But then there's another test in two weeks, so...yes.  That's the honest truth about med school wives.  I'll see him in a few years, I guess. He really does try to spend time with me, and I know I have more time with him than many wives; there's just not very much he can give.  For now, this is what James looks like:




1 comment:

  1. James, learned anything thus far on how to stop chronic pain in muscles or joints? I could sure use of that type of help, ya know? :)

    ReplyDelete