Sunday, August 3, 2014

The First Day

My first day has come and gone. All things considered, it was a fairly easy day. It was only one lecture and one lab: anatomy. I had to take a couple anatomy classes during undergrad, so I wasn't expecting the material to be anything new. The biggest difference that I can tell so far between med school and undergrad is that I honestly have to memorize know/understand everything that was in that lecture before the next one. All throughout orientation the doctors were saying how med school will snowball if you don't study one day. With the fear of dying in a horrible avalanche of medical knowledge, I have studied roughly 5 hours for one lecture. 5 HOURS! Who does that? If I had heard that someone had spent 5 hours reviewing 1 hour's worth of material, I would have called them crazy. Now, I know better. Medical students do that. This is my life now. Hurray?

On the plus side, it's all very interesting. Anatomy was one of my favorite classes before getting here, so I'm hoping that that will be the case again. The best part about anatomy classes during undergrad was the cadaver lab. There are few things as cool as being able to look inside a body. I know. This sounds kind of weird. But, I'm weird like that. Learning anatomy by touching and feeling everything is awesome. I'm having a hard time finding the right word to describe what it's like seeing inside another human. It's a little bit of awe mixed with a dash of fear with a whole lot of awesome. It's a sacred experience. That may sound strange, but that's honestly how it is. All in all, I'm thinking that anatomy is going to enjoyably difficult.

3 comments:

  1. I like the words "enjoyably difficult". It says so much about now, while leaving open future options of unenjoyable and easy. I hope by the end you will feel that it lived up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your thought that it is a scared experience seeing inside another human body is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops- I meant sacred, not scared. Spell check on my android, arrrrrrrgggggg... Love to you both from beautiful Utah. :)

    ReplyDelete