Sunday, August 31, 2014

Missing Sariah or Where I go all the time

Can I start by saying that I miss Sariah? Even if you don't want me to, I'm going to say it: I miss her. It's not like I don't see her either. It's that when I do see her, either my mind is distracted or it's in very short bursts of usually 30-60 minutes (obviously there are exceptions such as date night or Sundays, where I try not to study at all. Those exceptions rock). Such is the life of a medical student.

My day typically starts at about 6:45. That isn't too bad, especially since I had to be at work by 6:30 for my last job. I get ready and, if I'm driving myself, I leave Sariah home to sleep on. My first class starts at 8:00 with lectures every hour until noon most days. These aren't your typical lectures either. We cover a semester's worth of undergrad material in a couple hours. And then do it again the next day! It is honestly like trying to drink from a firehose. In the afternoon, I have a lab or two that keeps me on campus until roughly 5:30. Then I finally get to go home hungry, tired, and often smelling like formaldehyde. I eat and then study again until 10:30 or 11:00.

I'm going to throw in a little something here about how awesome Sariah is. Most of the time when I get home, she is already making dinner, the house has been cleaned, and laundry has been folded. I am constantly amazed by how willing she is to do those things to make my life easier. This has been a huge sacrifice for her. I mean, she gave up a very promising career at an incredible school to follow me out to the middle of nowhere Tennessee. Not only that, but she left behind all of her friends to become a foreigner wandering in a strange land, and strange it is. She is quite honestly alone out here.

School is hard, but I have friends at school. I'm kept busy by the insane amount of information that I need to know. I don't have very much spare time. It's not all that bad though because the things that I'm learning are so interesting. This is what I wanted to do. However, leaving Sariah behind in the morning and not being "home" when I'm home has been one of the hardest things about med school thus far. I miss her. So for the next few years, the image of Sariah that will be most common for me to see is her rolling over to fall back asleep.

In the end, it will be worth it. She'll still be there when all is said and done. Then I'll be able to crawl back in on my side of the bed, put an arm around her, and just be with her.





No comments:

Post a Comment